CMS Information


The enactment of state legislature on March 19, 1919 incorporated the new Canadian Independent School District, replacing the Canadian Common School District 1 and forcing the closing of the Canadian Academy.  One by one, the Hemphill County's small schools closed their doors and students were transported to Canadian to attend the Mary B. Isaac School and a new high school.  The 1930’s were a decade of change and progress.  The B. M. Baker School housing grades 1-8 replaced the Mary B. Isaac School.  A WPA project lead to the building of the Tom L. Hoover High School on the grounds of the old Canadian Academy.  The city donated land and erected a football stadium behind the new gymnasium.  This school would become known as Canadian High School, housing grades 9 -12.  When district's student population increased additional classroom space was required at Baker School to accommodate more students.  Grades 7 and 8 were moved to the high school builidng creating a 7-12 campus environment. 

As the oil and gas industry boomed, the community grew and progressive changes were  necessary.  Classes were added, teachers hired, and curriculum was expanded.  The school board beleived that every child was the promise of a progressive future for the community.  They used their vast financial resources to build upon that promise of progress.   In 1975, Canadian opened the football season in a natural bowl stadium and built an new high school on the site of the ole football field.  The former high school was renamed Canadian Middle School, welcoming students in grades 6-8.   In the Fall of 1979 students and staff started school in the Old Baker School while the Middle School was retrofited with new lockers, restrooms, lowered ceilings, windows and air conditioning.   By the second semester the group was enjoying their renovated building.  

In 1984 when Canadian Elemenatry School, K - 3 was built to relieve over crowding at Baker School, the sixth grade was moved back across the street to become part of BES, leaving only grades 7-8 in Middle School . 

Between 1995 and 2011, Technology for the twenty-first century was the next natural step in this promise for progress.  The trustees for Canadian ISD set aside funds to develop a technology rich educational environment, aimed at fostering 21st century skills.  Infrasture supported a fiberoptic backbone and a wireless network in place classrooms were outfitted with computers, interactive whiteboards, projectors and digital presenters.  Teachers began preparing online curriculum and web access to assignments.  A video conferencing system was installed for field trips and professional development.   In recent years  the community has a new population growth and once again the demand for additional classrooms required that sixth grade be moved back to CMS to begin the 2008-2009 school year.  

Today students in grades 6-8 use laptops to access lessons, complete Internet research, prepare for exams and create projects.  Each sixth grade classroom has a laptop cart, while seventh and 8th graders are issued laptops on a three year cycle.  Electronic textbooks are now used by CMS students. 

Prominent in the Canadian Middle School is the district's only auditorium built as part of the Thomas L Hoover WPA project.  Through a bond election the district was able to renovate the regal facility, reopening in 2010 as the Texas Crown Performance Hall.  The renovations extended the stage and updated the lighting and sound systems to meet specifications for UIL performances and professional appearances.  Additional dressing rooms were added to the facility.